Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mulishani?



Mwelwa was our translator who worked for Camfed. Even though most people in Zambia speak English those from the poorer villages without education only speak thier tribal language, which in this case was Bemba. There is also Tongo, Losi, Nianja and even one called Lala - I wandered what the Teletubbies would make of that.


From the Samfya Women Film makers the women came from different parts of the village. Some were teenagers with young babies like Christine above, others were from the fishing village, others were older mothers with several children.


Doreen (above) was from the fishing village, and we had to film her at her hut by the lake. Word got around quickly that two white people were in the village with a camera, and a crowd rapidly gathered around us, following and watching us wherever we went. I didn't realise at one point there were more than forty people, mostly men and children, crowding around me. I only found out about the boy leisurely lying down behind me when I saw this photo.



I think I got an authentic taste of what it's like to be famous. Everywhere we went in the town we would get stared at. By everyone at the same time. So I would just get used to it. If someone stared at me straight in the eye, I'd say hello. Or as they say, 'mulishani' which means 'how are you?'. I think I said mulishani about a hundred times a day. When I rarely saw other white people I'd get jealous and think 'but I am the unique white man here, go away!'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

pero que lindo Quicuch! Como podes ser tan copado!!!!???? Que increible todo lo que contas y excelentes las fotos!!!!
Te quiero tanto!!!!!

OLDBEAR said...

ah, y como que no hay nada para traerme? fijate esa sling que tiene esa mujer! Y todas las telas increibles, vestidos, por favor! slings, colgantes, pulseras... comprame toda africa que esta increible!
Y nada con andar sacando tantas fotos a esas guapitas por alla, eh? me encantaron las dos con remeras blancas, queeeee lindas!
Rosario, (firmo con el nombre del oso, porque ya estaba puesto, escribo desde su compu)

tolenti said...

Jaaaaaaaaaaaa! DEbiste aclararlo antes Ro!! Ya me lo estaba imaginando al Oso con colgantes, pulseras, slings... y yendo al sastre para que le haga unos pantalones estampados.!!
Icaio: como me gusta verte ahí, acumulando experiencias! Y de la forma en que vos sabes hacerlo. Captando cada detalle, calladito, aprendiendo siempre.

I c a i o said...

que risa! Que hace el Oso dejando comentarios de vestidos, colores, pulseras!!???

Que cantidad de cosas para contarles cuando llegue a BsAs, eh?!

Verónica Tomas said...

Ro me dijo que lea estas historias y la verdad que es una experiencia increíble. Me encantó el nene que tenés tirado ahí atrás tuyo!