Monday, April 23, 2007

Akira

Around the time I was studying my BTEC in Graphic Design, more than 12 years ago, I discovered a Japanese animated feature film called Akira. All of it was drawn on 70mm cells, it was absolutely astounding. The very first shot is a close up of a flashing neon shop sign in some back alley, and I thought it was real. It shortly turns into a motorbike chase that unless anyone can prove me wrong still remains unparalleled in the animation world regards to style, pace and illustrative skill. They race through the city leaving red light trails from the back of the bikes creating dynamic lines across the entire frame of most shots.
I'm not an avid follower of anime, and I have seen others that are very good, and I love the fact they've never fully embraced CGI, but I still haven't seen anything that comes close to Akira's skill.


When I found the complete works of comic magazines (where these images come from) the film was based on and discovered how the 2hr film was actually shortened from an even longer epic story, what most inspired me was the art, and I often tried to emulate it's style.

I often wonder now where would I be had I pursued my illustrative ambitions. I can't even find my best old works to be inspired from, I've lost them somewhere between moving houses, countries and 'lending' them to friends to look after. When I am confident at managing my time as a freelancer then I'll try to go back to it. Although after I've mastered my time I'll then have to master being a Dad. I guess I'll never get back to illustration then!

Here's the bike race, but it's been altered with some other foreign track over the top of it - appreciate it primarily for the vision, the soundtrack to the film is just as breath-taking.

No comments: